Culture Shock

I remember my family's move to Ethiopia like it was yesterday. It was 1988. Ethiopia was in the midst of a terrible famine. Our family had been planning to move to Bolivia, and we were all geared up for that, when the organization asked us if we'd consider changing last minute to Ethiopia. So Ethiopia it was.

The organization gave us several months of orientation preparing us for inevitable "culture shock" that was going to occur for us North Americans with our move to a third world country.

I remember when our plane touched down, looking out the window and thinking the airport looked pretty normal.  No culture shock yet.  Even in the airport things were pretty normal.  We loaded up our luggage into a nice Toyota van and still no culture shock.  Then we drove out of the airport...

Culture shock.

I have vivid recollections of the sights, of seeing people relieving themselves in the medians, of people with minimal clothing, of people living in plastic bag houses, of children calling out "You you you you, money give!"
But nothing could have prepared me for the smell.

Culture shock.

I missed home.  I missed our clean life.

As I grew up and spent both junior and senior high school in Ethiopia and Kenya, the sights and smells became normal. I stopped missing Canada for the most part.

What was growing on and in me was the deep friendships, the deep appreciation of people over schedules, the ability to laugh long and hard, the seemingly carefree existence that many enjoyed despite having so little.  This too was culture shock, but the kind you eagerly drink in.

I keenly remember in Grade 12 having to go through Re-entry seminars and training for preparation to come back to North America. At the time it seemed like such a joke. Re-entry back to my home country, how hard could that be???


They were teaching us about how difficult it would be.  Here in Africa we looked different from most people, yet we had adopted many of the same thought processes as the populace. In North America however, the challenge would be that we looked the same as everyone else, but inside we had been rewired. Third culture kids or TCKs they called us.

As we prepared to fly back to Canada, I remember feeling sick, like my soul was being ripped out and left behind in East Africa. I didn't want to go home, I already was home!

I remember arriving back in Canada. Everything was so clean. People were so polite... and private.  Initially I thought it might not be so hard to adjust.

Wrong.

As days turned into weeks turned into months turned into years, I experienced more culture shock than I had ever experienced in Africa.

The thing that shocked me the most was this:

How can people who have so much, be so unhappy. How can so many be so driven to achieve that they have forgotten how to be relational, be carefree, laugh deeply and enjoy this life.
Where I just was, people had so little and things in the future were so uncertain, and yet people were happy!  People laughed. People cried. People grew deep friendships. People would walk around holding each others hands.

It seemed that somehow from the time I lived here before, to the time I lived here again, everything had changed!!

Or had it?

It was me. I had changed. Africa changed me.

It is now 20 years since that REAL culture shock hit me, the shock of moving back to North America.

The thing that concerns me is that at times I feel lulled into the mindset of here... squashing down my African rewiring.  Then I realize what's happening and I shake my head.  Wake up!  Realize that life is a gift. Spend time with people. Laugh. Cry. Play. Run. Relate. Go deep. Be thankful. Grow in gratefulness.

Africa I will always be thankful for the rewiring you did. Grateful.

For those of you that have never had the chance to experience the culture shock of moving back to North America, I hope one day you will. And that you too, will never want to go back to how you were before.


Comments

  1. Yes life is a gift no matter where you are

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well with the Canadian Government openly planning to take 40% of your bank account just like they did in Crypus if a bank fails you might in for another culture shock very soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a real shame that we as humans do not help and encourage the less fortunate more

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a shame that us North Americans particularly us in the US do so little travel. I understand that a brief visit can't teach so deeply, but it can provide a glimpse. That hint can be very helpful in providing direction and focus on what is really important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember coming back from Thailand. I was only there for two months studying, but the reverse culture shock was strong. I was disgusted by many things here in America. I got used to a "sabay sabay" life, and I came to appreciate simple things so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a heartwarming story! I would like to read much more of the change from Canada to Africa over the first few years and then from Africa to Canada and how hard/easy it was to adapt. Thanks for sharing this story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some missions are working with TCKs more and more to help them. My niece, a TCK herself, is involved in this ministry with Crossworld.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow lovely photo! Brings back my good memories of Africa. I grew up there too and had a similar experience of reverse culture shock, even thought it was when I went to the Netherlands, Europe. What age were you when you returned to Canada? Growing up as a kid in Africa influences one more than living there for a couple of years as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your perspective, Jordan! I have not had such an experience with culture shock, but you helped me to imagine how leaving home can force one to examine his world in ways that otherwise would not be possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really great blog. I liked the cycle you posted. I have travelled a bit and have experienced some degrees of the culture reverse culture shock. I have tried to prepare for it, but there is always something that surprises you :D It is a perfect catalyst to change your frames of reference. Growing up in Ethiopia would have been an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "How can people who have so much, be so unhappy. How can so many be so driven to achieve that they have forgotten how to be relational, be carefree, laugh deeply and enjoy this life." -> exactly how I felt when I lived in Japan. People had so much yet they were lonely and the most miserable that I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting article !! Deserves it to be shared !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My greatest culture shock was moving from the country to the big city (Sydney). You quickly develop a different set of survival skills, which is not always a negative.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. What an eye opener. I had never thought of or even considered that people would have "reverse culture shock" but it totally makes sense. What a gift your parents gave you by taking you to East Africa. I hope you make it back again someday if you haven't already.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My cousin spent time in Kenya. He learned a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very great blog! It seems like you've put a lot of time into thinking about the two sides of the coin. I totally agree with reverse culture shock given that I travel a lot. I always try to take the best of what I learn :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent description of it all. Having moved from Canada to Belgium while in my 30's, and back to Canada 6 years later, one might assume that culture shock is just not possible in a western society move. Incorrect assumption. Life on the continent was actually 'life'. Relationships, handshakes, cheek kisses, time together, enjoying lingering lunches over wine on a crowded terrace with colleagues...these were the things my European friends and colleagues hold dear. These are the same things I miss the most. It is similar here, but so very different. Europe rewired me and I'm better for it.
    Thanks for sharing your amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts